Church of Our Lady with watch tower
"Frauenkirche" with "Stadtturm"
Referred to historically in 1324, the Market church is the oldest church in the town. The inside of what used to be a place of pilgrimage, was refurbished in barock style in 1753, although the gothic character of the church remained despite the removal of the main gothic elements. Of particular importance is the gothic picture of the Merciful Mother of God, in the style of “The beautiful Madonna” from approximately 1420. The barock version of the church decoration which was first discovered in 1912/13, was restored in the same style in 1974/75. The 65 metre tower used to be the watch tower – hence the coat of arms showing the lion and tower.